Search This Blog

Friday, March 31, 2017

On Gender Stereotyping

Today, I put my boy in a bonnet. Most of us millennials don't see bonnets as being for one gender or another, but I know plenty of people who think I shouldn't have bought my boy a bonnet or that its weird. For some reason, society has turned bonnets into a "girl thing", even though all babies used to wear bonnets decades ago. I don't want there to be anything my boy shouldn't do because it's a "girl thing". I will be just as thrilled if my son wants to pursue a career in fashion or ballroom dancing as I would if he wants to pursue baseball. This doesn't mean I am going to purposely do something to my son just because I don't want him to be too attached to one gender; I wouldn't go out of my way to put him in a lavender onesie or wear flowers on his head. And I do see him as my son; I don't want to raise him to be gender neutral, because I believe in the beauty of each gender as designed by God. If I see a cute onesie that has a gender specific saying (i.e. "Daddy's Little Girl), I will definitely not dress him in that, no matter how cute I think it is. I also will not dress him in super stereotyped boy onesies either (i.e. "Chicks dig me," or "Built tough like Daddy", with few exceptions). My philosophy is to raise him away from societal gender "norms" so that he will not feel constrained.

Growing up, my "favorite color" was pink. I am 100% sure the reason for this is because it is my mom's favorite color (reason being when I found out my Nana's favorite color was green, I quickly changed my favorite color to green as well...I was very impressionable). My mom is a girly girl through and through. She went through her tomboy phase growing up, but she loved (yeah right, still loves) lace and pink and frills and wants a fluffy white cat with a pink bow named Fifi or something like that. Like I said, I was very impressionable, so I was also quite the girly girl. I would request the color pink for whatever I could and I loved to wear dresses. Suddenly, around 4th grade, I entered my tomboy phase. I will shamefully admit to the following fashion crimes: Pepe Jeans, pants with multiple zippers to change lengths, terribly generic eight-year-old graphic tees. I begged my mom to let me cut my hair (which she didn't until 7th grade and I should have listened to her and never cut it) so that I could have a more "tomboy" look. I am so thankful my parents didn't fully embrace this stage of my life. If my mom got rid of all my dresses, bought me Converse instead of jellies, and let me cut my hair, I definitely could have felt she was encouraging me into boy-like behaviors. As I said twice now, I was impressionable. If at anytime my parents would have encouraged something stereotypically boyish, I would have continued down that road. Instead, they did both. I had the Converse AND the jellies. I had my dresses, and unfortunately, I had my 3-tier pants. She didn't try to conform me. They never said, "You're a girl so you have to wear a dress," or "You're a girl so you can't have Wheelies". DISCLAIMER: My mom did like to dress us up, especially for holidays, but she made sure we knew it was because it was something she wanted and not something we were supposed to want to do.

My husband is a sweet man, but a man through and through. When I found out we were having a boy, I immediately began to buy and look for clothes. We knew he would be born at the end of November, so I knew I would have to get him his first Christmas outfit. I wanted to get him a smock, and Stephen very adamantly did not want his son wearing a dress. Not only are smocks a very Southern thing, they also make some specifically for boys. When we were looking for an outfit to bring Daxton home in, his only stipulation was that it not look "too girly". Update: Daxton did not wear a smock for Christmas, in large part because I never got around to ordering him one, but he does have one for Easter! I want to make sure that as Daxton gets older, he doesn't see pink as a color he shouldn't wear or bonnets as something for girls. I want him to be open to everything. I want him to go through style phases and do the preppy thing, do the skater thing, do the athlete thing (gym shorts, tall socks, nike sandals) so that he will find himself without rethinking who he truly is.





No comments:

Post a Comment